In our previous tutorial, we have covered 7 steps from scratch to create a website using WordPress. If you have not read it yet and don’t know to create or install a website with WordPress plus database setup then please visit our article Part I: Create a website using WordPress tutorial?
So after WordPress installation, you will get a default theme activated which is Twenty Seventeen and it will look like the following page.
Let’s understand setting up the theme, creating menu, widgets, plugins and posting an article from the following steps.
Selecting and setting up WordPress Theme
First of all, you should be very clear on what is the concept, topic, or say the goal of your website.
For various concepts, there are various or millions of themes available, many are free and many are paid themes. For example Blog Magazine, eCommerce, Retail, Corporate, Entertainment, Technology, Education and many more.
Steps for installing the theme
- Login your WordPress backend
- Navigate to Appearance > Themes from the menu.
- Click on Add New button
- You will see the list of free WordPress themes along with four tabs Featured, Popular, Latest, and Favorites. Find out your liking theme from there.
- When you are done with selecting a theme then hover mouse on the liking theme from there you can click the Preview button if you want to see how it will look or click the Install button if you are sure to install it in your WordPress.
For more free WordPress themes option, You can find many websites on google like athemes.com, colorlib.com, and themegrill.com. For premium or paid themes, you can find millions of best WordPress themes from themeforest.net
Remember: If you have downloaded a Zip file of theme then navigate to Appearance > Theme menu and click Upload Theme button then choose the theme zip file from your computer and click Install button.
Note: You might have to download Demo Content in some themes.
Creating a WordPress menu
In some themes, you get readymade menus from Demo content but let’s talk about creating a menu from the beginning and changing in readymade menu items.
- Navigate to Appearance > Menus from the menu.
- Enter the menu name and click on Create Menu button (skip if you already have a menu)
- If you want to add an existing page, post, or category links into the menu then select them from Pages, Posts, Categories tab respectively. If you want to add a specific URL into the menu then click on the Custom Links tab and enter Menu URL and Link Text then click the Save Menu button to save it.
Added/Changing WordPress Widgets
- Navigate to Appearance > Widgets from the menu.
- You can see there are Sidebar, Footer Column 1, Footer Column 2, Footer Column 3, and Footer Column 4 present so you can add widget any of them.
- In Sidebar there will be many widgets like Search, Recent Comments, Archives, Meta which are not required to us so you can just click on that widget then it will expand then you can delete the option to remove it or you can drag and drop the widget to Available Widgets area.
- You can select your required widgets from the Available Widgets area as shown in the below image. Just click on the widget and assign it to the area where you want to add or simply you can drag and drop it to the sidebar or footer box.
Adding Plugins to WordPress
- Navigate to Plugins > Add New menu.
- From the search bar, you can add any of your required plugins for example for website SEO Yoast SEO, for creating forms Contact Form 7, for products sailing WooCommerece and many more.
- Click on the Install button and then click the Activate button to start it.
Creating Pages and Posting articles
- Navigate to Pages menu > Add New.
- You should have a Page builder like Visual Composer, Divi, Elementor to easily create page beautifully.
- Although you can still use WordPress editor to add images and text with styles to create a page.
- Navigate to Posts menu > Add New.
- There you will see Add Title, Except, and Categories, Tags, Big text box for writing content and Featured image fields.
- To add a new category navigate to Posts menu > Categories and there you will see Add New Category option. Enter the category name and click on the Add New Category button.
- When writing article makes sure to select categories, tags and featured image.